Introduction to Mission Studies

Welcome to my blog on mission studies.  This blog will cover data and research regarding faith outreach.  Although The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the primary focus, other faiths will also receive coverage, both within Christianity as well as Islam and Judaism.  Societal trends, migrations, and humanitarian topics will also be cited.  Principles of scholarship will be applied to the extent possible. This blog will strive to set forth information and analysis in a respectful tone.

The field of Mission Studies, or Missiology, is the study of both formal and informal faith-based outreach in its local, national, and international context.  Both supply-side factors (pertaining to the specific faiths or churches, including but not limited to leadership, mission policies and paradigms, missionary practices and behaviors, and the conduct and participation of church members) and demand-side factors (those of the outreach audience, including religious interest, secularism, belief systems, and other cultural factors) are evaluated.  Interactions between proselytizers and the outreach audience are assessed for successes, failures, unintended consequences, and other outcomes. The extent to which outcomes may carry lessons of limited or broader relevance evaluated. Additional research may be performed to validate or refute findings.

Many mission policies and practices are ostensibly grounded in theology, which also provides the content of doctrinal teaching. I am neither a theologian nor an apologist. My purpose is not to advocate or defend theological beliefs. However, theology will be cited as necessary to identify the beliefs and assumptions underpinning mission practices and ethics.  When mission practices diverge from theological teachings, such divergences will be identified and their consequences explored.

History and culture will also be frequent themes.  Occasionally matters of public policy (or proposed policy) which impact religious observance or mission outreach will be lightly touched on.  I consider myself a centrist remote from politics. I have voted for candidates of both parties for state and national office, and have never made a political donation. I support civil dialogue and bi-partisan problem-solving, and am concerned by extremism on both ends of the political spectrum.

I expect thoughtfulness and basic reading comprehension from my readers. My posts are heavy contextual and background information, with limited analysis and interpretation by myself.  In setting forth this background, please understand that I am not supporting or advocating the historical beliefs or practices being discussed. Mission studies require us to understand and deal with difficult data and challenging situations.  I try to deal with difficult topics in a thoughtful and sensitive way.

Human history includes bright spots as well as very dark ones.  In presenting historical background on, for instance, slavery, the legacy of colonialism, or religious inquisition, please understand that I neither support nor condone these or other deplorable practices in any way.  I unequivocally condemn racism, bigotry, hate speech, and prejudice.  I believe in the value, worth, and dignity of each human. I do not condone historical practices or violations of human rights by any individual, group, or organization, religious or secular.

Paraphrasing Christian researcher George Barna, I'm not asking anyone to like what the data shows, but merely to become informed to be able to deal with it in an intelligent way.  So please don't "shoot the messenger" or allege, because a posting may discuss objectional items of the historical past that I condone or agree with such practices. I do not. Please read this blog carefully and in context.

I hope that you will enjoy my blog and find these data interesting and useful.

David Stewart, Jr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preach My Gospel 2nd Edition: A Transformational Improvement

Principles of Scholarly Review

The Decline of Religiosity: A Brief History